Thursday, May 19, 2011

You're gonna want to see this *updated*

**update**
So after that mess from this morning, I spoke to the dean of the business department, she returned my call.  Now I have to call the transfer department and have them push through my college diploma to see if my courses will match the pre-requisites of the new courses I want to take.  If they do, then I have to call another person and have her switch my admission from open studies to the HR certificate program.  Once that is switched and my courses assessed for transfer then I can register and it shouldn't be an issue from this point forward. 

What. A. Gong. Show.
******************************************************

Me have a freakin' melt down that is.

How hard is it to register for University?  I mean come on?  They honestly expect high school students to do this?  I'm a college graduate.  I'm a professional business woman.  I've negotiated a mortgage and half way through a divorce.  And I can't get into a damn university class. 

- In March I called MRU (University) to ask if my courses from my diploma would transfer, they said I need to email the transfer department.
- I emailed the transfer department with all the courses I have and the ones I want them to be equivalent to.  Took them weeks, but they got back to me, saying most likely but they can't tell me for sure until I register for said courses.
- I applied to MRU.
- I called my high school and had my transcript sent to MRU.
- I called my college and paid to have my transcript sent to MRU. (I couldn't send the transcripts - they HAD to come from the academic sources)
- I recieved my admission with info for registering.
- I had registered for open studies at the suggestion of someone in the admissions office.  They said I can take the courses I want and then apply them to the HR certificate I want later on when I'm ready to declare a major.
- I attempted to register online this morning.  I couldn't figure out the website.  I asked our part-time receptionist (who goes to MRU) for help.  We found that all the courses I'd want to take, all 5 of them, are restricted.
- I called the admissions department, they said I need to add 'University Entrance Option' to my application and that I need to speak with an evaluator.
- I left her a voicemail.
- She called back and told me she can add it, but I still won't be able to get into those courses so I need to speak to an advisor.
- I called the advising department, they said I can apply to the HR program, but that still won't get me into the courses either.  She said I need to speak to the dean of Business/HR Chair and ask for special permission to get into the classes.
- I left her a voicemail.
- I'm still waiting to hear back from her. 

Even if she gives me permission and I get into the class I want to take, I then will have to pay another $70 for application to the HR program.  And register in October for Winter semester, and will likely have to get permission again to take courses. 

I can see why people give up.  This is beyond ridiculous!  5 phone calls and 2 hours later and I'm still no further than I was when I started this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.