Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Happy Birthday to me

I was given a gift today.  Not the traditional kind of gift, but an offer.  An offer of future employment, an offer of longevity.  A career. 

The controller of our company came to speak with me.  There is currently a junior controller in the accounting department, he is working on his applied degree.  Once he finishes he will continue working here and will complete his CMA.  It will take him approximately another 3 years of combined work and schooling. 

The controller came and told me that after I finish a big project that I'm working on right now (until the end of April), that he would like for me to work in his department and assist.  This way I can get a more general knowledge base of the different positions in the accounting department.  And if I was interested, I could take my applied degree and start towards a CMA designation. 

I had to sit back and think about what this means. 

He approached our GM and asked her if he could speak to me about it.  Meaning, they are thinking of me long term with this company.  That they will pay for my education.  That they want me to grow with the company.  I knew that I would be here for long term, I knew that if the woman whose on maternity leave (whose position I'm covering until April 2012) came back that I would still have a position in this company.  I know that they will make a position for me, or migrate me wherever they need help or need me to be.  But being approached by the controller of the company on his own ideas of future career possibilities within this company, well I'm a bit shocked. 

I guess they've noticed my hard work - in the 4 months I've been working in this office and the almost 2 years with the company. 

I love my job.  I really do like what I do.  But more and more I realize that my life is on an up-swing and making this choice, to leave, to move and start over, well it was a good thing.  Better than I could have imagined. 

I feel honored and humbled a bit.  I feel like I'm in the right place, at the right time and baby - I'm gonna work it, 'cuz I've busted my butt for years to get here, to this place.  I'm not going to take it for granted and even though R and I joke that one day I'm going to be vice-president of this company (even though such a position doesn't exist...yet), more and more it looks like I might not be that far off...

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That is so wonderful! and what a great Birthday present! YAY! I think you are going to do a wonderful job.... and for them to pay for your school as well??!?! Why that is just awesome!
    Miss you tons!
    Happy Happy Birthday!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They know a solid employee/human being when they meet one and they want to enrich your life while they work with you. I like it!!!

    Do it!

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.