Thursday, April 7, 2011

Differences of Opinion

Yesterday was a trying day.  I left mad, upset, frustrated.  Most of the day went well, but it ended in a difference of opinion that was not handled well. 

I work with the department managers on a daily basis.  I have certain job responsibilities that require things of them to send to me.  They resent this on a whole, but I deal with it, as it's part of my job.  We just did a huge benefit change-over.  And by we, I mean me. 

When I moved here, we were up for renewal of our benefit carrier.  In that they did such a poor job and the rates jumped up over 35%, we started looking for a new carrier.  Had various presentations, picked a carrier and ran with it.  They required tons of information from us, I had to coordinate meetings with every. single. employee.  TWICE.  And the companies total almost 100 employees.  It took some organization but I managed and it went over rather smoothly, so that was great.

I had to send out emails to the managers asking them to coordinate thier departments to meetings and send me the names of the groups so I could organize the people.  The second time/meeting, didn't go as well as the first.  I had sent out the email, but 2 of the managers, with the most staff, didn't bother to reply and send me the lists.  The day before in the managers meeting, my manager, the GM asked if I was set up, I had to tell her no and why.  So she gave crap to the 2 managers, who in turn, one started to yell at me - in front of 6 other managers that I didn't ask for that information and if I had asked then it wouldn't been an issue and why couldn't I communicate with them when I needed something. 

I bit my tongue and didn't say a word, because really there was no point in arguing about it.  When we left the meeting, my GM asked for a copy of the email I had sent, requesting the information.  I gave it to her, which included a line from me asking for their lists.  He later came and applogized me to.  However, I don't think that when you yell at someone in front of other people, a private applogize cuts it. 

Futher I don't believe in management discipling or yelling at someone in front of other people.  Again, poor management in my eyes.  Bad managerial skills.  Anyhow, I let it go.

Yesterday it happened again.  This time because the girl I trained in RD was here getting more training, I happened to be in that department walking through, she asked me a question.  I answered it.  The manager got mad and said that he refused to train her the next day if I was going to answer her questions and he was going to stop wasting him people's time.  In front of his staff, then he stormed off.  A few minutes later, I had to walk by his office on the way to mine, so I said, she asked me a question, he still insisted he was finished training her and that she was to spend the day with me today.  I said no, he said yes, I said no and walked away.  Straight into my boss's office and told her the story. 

She went and spoke with him and he agreed he handled it wrong.  She said he might appologize, which he hasn't and I don't expect he will.  Seriously though, I can't get over his attitude.  It's so frustrating. 

Either way, I was upset and mad last night.  Today I'm mostly over it, but I am avoiding him and I won't deal with him directly any further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.