Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Scottish Country Dancing


So R and I decided we needed some culture in our lives. And something to do at night, because if I spend another night just sitting watching TV I might shoot the damn TV. So, when he asks me what I'd like to do, I say take a dance class. I'm thinking, well we live in a large city, it might be fun. A good place to meet people. Get some exercise.

Now, like most average women, I'm thinking dancing, like ballroom or Salsa or something. His idea? Scottish Country Dancing. Go ahead laugh. I'll wait. Everyone else laughed. Hell I laughed too. Then I laughed some more.

So I googled it. And I came up with this. Which was so funny I laughed a bit more. Inside as R was getting a bit impatient with me.

Last night was our first "class". I call it a "class" because if you count him and I stumbling around, bouncing into each other and trying not to crash into other couples dancing, well, then you should be in the class too.

All joking aside, it was actually fun. We laughed the whole time. We were told we needed soft soled shoes or slippers. R went out and bought watersocks which might have been funnier than us trying to Scottish Country Dance. I had some ballet flats from my ex being so damn short. We couldn't wear either as they marked the floors. So we "danced" in our socks.

Apparently we need to buy Lace Gillies (pictured above). I'm not sure where to get such things, but I think I might just get real ballet flats. Either way. It was fun. Surprising. We were by far the youngest couple there. There were 7 other couples and the 2 teachers.

Apparently there are only a few steps and they just vary with the dances. I managed to get 2 of the 3 steps figured out. Poor R was not even close. He was trying so hard, but way over thinking it. But ohhhhhhh my! At one point I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing so hard!

Everyone was very nice however and we will go back. It's Tuesday evenings from 7:30 - 9:30 and I'm not sure when it started, I think in January, but goes until Mid-May then stops for the summer. And it cost us $10 each. For the entire year! Lol.

So, lesson learned - you never know until you try. And seriously, something as dorky sounding and looking as Scottish Country Dancing can really be a riot. As long as you leave your self-respect at the door and just have fun.

Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one's watching.

1 comment:

  1. My wife keeps asking me to take dancing lessons with her. After reading your post perhaps we should...

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.