Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lending Money

I’ve never really been one that likes to lend money. To friends or family.

A friend once told me she never lends money that she can’t afford to just give and not expect back. I really just try to not lend it out in any form. I hate asking for it back. I don’t like to lend someone money because generally right after you do they avoid you. And if they owe you money and you see them buying something, of course most people are like, hu? How can you buy [insert unnecessary object here], but you can’t pay me back?

I’m on an Oprah kick right now. I’ve been watching the 20th anniversary DVD collection lately. She said she doesn’t lend money. Ever. She just gives it away if she feels they need it. Since I can’t really adopt that mantra, I just try to avoid lending.

Which leads me to a situation I’ve landed in, although I really tried not too. Ugh. I purchased a few things for my mom that she asked me too. No big deal. I don’t mind and mom is great about paying me or trading for stuff. She owes me some money, which turned out to be the same amount my sister owes her. Since we are all going to be together this weekend for Thanksgiving, she said my sister could just pay me what she owes my mom and it would work out. Which it would. If my sister had the money to pay me. But now she doesn’t.
Her husband had a botched vasectomy that ended with him with an infection and off work for the last month. He is on short-term disability. I understand that money is tight for them. But I put things on my MasterCard for my mom, based that I would get paid this weekend. Now, my mom is out the money my sister owes her and I don’t feel right asking her to give me the money she owes me. She’s my mom! And she’d be out the amount double. So, what do I do? I don’t want to push my sister for the money or my mom for that matter. Financially I’m probably better off than they both are. However, why is it my responsibility to fund their issues? I don’t know what to do.

2 comments:

  1. I only give what I am comfortable never asking for it back. I usually give and tell to them forget about it (payment) although it is often a lesser amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom gives me money too; there's no way I can ever really pay her back (em grows too darn fast!)

    in the end, especially with family, things tend to even out in the end.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.