Wednesday, April 29, 2009

moving on *updated*

I’m a bit grossed out and annoyed by sexist pigs today. They have been interviewing for my position this week and it makes me a bit sick. Seriously.

I fully understand that appearances matter in some jobs and depending on what you do. But not in my position. Not to say that I think I’m unattractive. Or attractive for that matter. I’m ok with my appearance and how I look, but that’s not the focus of this post. My annoyance stems to a comment that was just made by the hiring manager. (Same said manager that is the main cause of my leaving the company).

He has been interviewing a lot this week. 5 on Monday, 2 today so far and 2 this afternoon that are 2nd interviews. One girl just left this morning. Her interview was about 10 – 15 minutes shorter than all the rest have been, but when she left his comment to my office-mate was “I can see why she was recommended”. Are you frickin kidding me????!!!!!

Ok, she was small, cute, and blonde. I’m cool with that. I know what I am and what I’m not, and I’m ok with that. But seriously? Her interview was shorter I’d guess not because you had a lot to talk about, but rather because she’s not right for this position – for whatever reasons. But to come down here and make such a rude, sexist comment – right in front of me, was totally uncalled for!

It’s been a strange experience to sit here and watch the girl’s parade in and out of here and to listen to him describe my position. (I can hear him upstairs talking when I’m in the shop and it’s quiet). The most ironic thing is that he has no clue what my position entails. He might say that he knows what needs to be done, but for how to manage your time to get it all finished and whatnot, he has no clue. I digress.

I know he’ll hire based on the brain in his pants rather that above his shoulders. You can see a trend since he started the hiring in this company. All young, all pretty girls. Most inexperienced and all ass-kissing yes girls. The ones that say yes to everything he asks or whatever he wants them to do.

Why does this bother me?

Because I spent the past 3+ years making this position. I have worked very hard and developed a routine to make this all happen. I’ve worked with customers and learned who they are, what they want and their needs. We’ve developed relationships and respect among colleagues. I hate the feeling that a yes girl who is going to sit here and kiss ass and mess it all up. I care about the work I’ve done and all the effort and frustration I’ve put into this place is going to be a complete waste.

I’m sad about leaving the people that have made the past days enjoyable and something that I’ve looked forward to in all the crap that I’ve had to deal with.

One tech this morning thanked me for all my work with him, for training him, for helping him, for being someone to confide in, for trying to help him. He told me he was going to miss me and what was he going to do without me. Another sent me an email (from the field) telling me that I can’t leave and what was he going to do with me gone and that I need to stay. I’ll miss them a lot and it’s going to be hard to walk away tomorrow.

I’m ready for a new job and this new phase of my life to begin. However, I’m sad to leave the people I work with everyday and talk to everyday. I’m going to miss them.

*Update*
To add insult to the mix - they let me go early and paid me out. I'm insulted. I feel like this was the last slap on the way out the door.

3 comments:

  1. It is inappropriate to speak that way and I do not tolerate it in my workplace.

    Guys talk like that at times and while we are attracted to women comments like that make my blood boil.

    The guy is a bit of an idiot talking that way.

    Once they become real and human the comments stop (in other words as he gets to know them).

    You will miss them. Don't burn the bridge and keep the channels open in the event you need an advocate later.

    Best to you on your next job...

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. As sad as it is.. that is the real world. I've dealt with that so many times, it's not even funny. I've been told months after being hired, more than once, that I was hired because I was a hot blonde. That's bs. I want to be hired because of what I know.. not my looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry they're asses, but so glad that you've got some paid days off. We should do lunch to celebrate your new job! Are you free on Friday? I have to work tomorrow, and see Jim, but Friday is completely open.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.