Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Career Fair Do's and Don't

As some of you may be aware, I'm in Human Resources.  I was at a Career Fair today and although this is my second attempt at this, it is increasingly becoming obvious that some people have no idea why they are unemployed.  Yikes!

I'm pretty tired, but I haven't posted in a long time.  Here is a short list of Do's and Don't for you job seekers out there.  Please share this list if you know someone that is looking for a job.

Don't
- Show up to a career fair (or interview) in your flip flops, ripped jeans, dirty t-shirts or with a skateboard in your hand.
- Don't bring your spouse or children.  It's impossible to interview someone when a child is demanding your attention.
- Don't be afraid to approach the recruiters, we look for people to come to us, not the other way around.  If you stare us down in the booth, but wait for us to approach you, it's a bad impression.
- Don't say that you are a skilled worker with only a high school education and mechanics in high school.
- Don't take more than one of our free promo's, they are there to give out to other people than your spouse, your kids, etc.

Do
- Come prepared.  Print 10 more resumes than you think you will need.
- Do staple those resumes together.  When I collect 50 - 100 resumes, they need to be stapled.  If I were to drop the box, I'm not going to spend time searching for the first or second page of your resume, unless it's a damn good resume.
- Do dress for the job that you want.  If your looking for a job as a Heavy Duty Mechanic, wearing a suit and tie will make me think you have no experience in the job or industry.
- Do take the time to talk to me.  If I'm talking to someone else, wait your turn or come back when I'm free.
- Do give me a resume. Always.  Just because I'm not posting for a position, doesn't mean there isn't one open right now that isn't posted, or that one might open up tomorrow.
- Do be honest.  If you lie on your resume it's going to come out when I verify your employment or call your references.  Then you've wasted both our times.

I'm still surprised at the lack of skilled labor in the workforce right now.  It surprises the hell out of me that some people come to interviews with greasy hats on and flip flops.  Are you a professional?  Then dress and act like one!

If you have any bad or funny experiences with hiring or job interviews, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I imagine this is a very interesting part of your job. I always hired everyone in my office and just sat down with people and let them talk. Some are more qualified than others however I look for work ethic and other interests beyond work. (family, community service/hobbies etc)

    I'm easy. If you need time off I don't ask why. I just approve it. Why create a stressful work environment? In return, I never have any troubles with my employees. Never.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had the Addition Elle store, there were two mothers that wanted to sit in on the interview! I had to tell them that if their children couldn't talk to me on their own, what would they be like as employees?!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.