Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Balancing Act

As life changes I seem to be focusing more on balancing things out.  I have a massive to-do list that makes me go a little crazy when I even think about it, but I can't ignore it either.  Balancing life, work and school is a bit more than I think I can handle most days, but then I sit back and remember I have no choice.  Am I going to stop living?  Am I going to quit my job?  Am I going to quit going to University?  No.  So suck it up honey and get on with it.

Work is...well work.  Busy, stressful, hectic, overload.  It's not going to change.  I can only come up with a few options...bring it home with me, or leave it at work.  Since I don't get paid to work at home, then work stays at work.  I'm trying.  It's hard to leave the office and not think about all the things I have to do but somewhere along the way I remember that it's not my #1 priority and it will still be there tomorrow.

School is getting better.  The first class I was assigned a chapter to read, a case study and 7 questions.  For the class the day after next.  I got it done, but it took me forever and half the questions were wrong.  I was pretty disappointed and frustrated.  My third class was better.  The homework went much faster and I did the homework properly.  Amazing what it does for your confidence.  Tomorrow is my fourth class, I have homework to do tonight.  *sigh*  I need to get used to the fact that for the next 12 weeks I'm going to have homework.

Life is good.  I'm working at finding a balance between the things I have to do and the things I want to do.  I'm doing the laundry when I find the time.  I'm trying to get out and try new things.  I'm outside my comfort zone and it pushes my limits but I'm working through it.  I'm meeting new people and finding new friends in strange places.  R and I are getting things done around the house - which is great.  I'm buying Christmas presents and I love it!

I'm realizing that just because I take on more things doesn't mean they will get done, or won't get done, or that they'll be done poorly.  It just means I have to rearrange my life and my schedule and make it happen.  I'm learning that even my best scheduled day goes to hell because you never know what is going to come down at the last minute and need to be dealt with.  The best I can do is to make the short list of what absolutely has to be done today and do my best to deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I know this balancing act well! While it starts out rough anytime you have to get into a new routine, it will all come together and you will feel SUPER accomplished once things fall into place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be very concise about my undertakings as I feel overwhelmed when I have too much on my plate. I have a lot mind you but I never feel like it is out of control. (See delegate)

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments! Thanks for stopping by.